Learn english with AspideTR

[topic of the week: England]

Non solo Lara Croft: attualità, cultura, curiosità, sport e molto altro / Beyond Lara Croft: news, shows, curiosity, sport and more
Arch
Advanced TR Player
Advanced TR Player

Messaggio da Arch »

What a great thread! :D

I knew the tradition of soiling one's face with charcoal, but it wasn't very popular here (in Brindisi) :) When I was young, I knew about the english holiday named "Halloween" because our english teacher told us about it. As a matter of fact, the first time I celebrated it I was in primary school and our english teacher organized a party in wich we ate candies and watched a funny horror-themed movie named Hocus Pocus. :P
Since then, Halloween for me is gathering with my friends and watching a horror movie. Last year we watched Profondo Rosso. :shock:

PS: Firefox spellcheck doesn't like my english at all... It underlined every word! :asd: That's odd, I have the english dictionary installed. :|
antoxx92
Advanced TR Player
Advanced TR Player

Messaggio da antoxx92 »

Well, it happens the same things to me (I use Google chorme) :D ...
Anyway, I think it's very interisting to see that in a lot of countries, different traditions are similar...

Bronze Reviewer (20 Bronze Award)
[i]You may say I'm a dreamer, but I'm not the only one....[/i]
antoxx92
Advanced TR Player
Advanced TR Player

Messaggio da antoxx92 »

Hey guys, look at my english homeworks:
- What are the main qualities you look for in a leader? Why?
- Do you think the new president will face more challenges than last? Why or why not?
These are refeared to Obama's elections :) .
I think it could be a good new topic, do you agree?
(i already answered, I don't want to copy your ideas XD)

Greywolf
Master TR Player
Master TR Player

Messaggio da Greywolf »

In my opinion a leader should have many qualities and be able to find a good balance between them: being strong and determined in some situations, diplomatic and wise in other, able to keep on his own decision, but able to retrace his/her steps too and so on.

Well, I remember a song by David Riondino, wich tell something like that: a leader should not close himself/herself behind his/her limits, but he/she should be able to increase abilities and experiences. Everyone has limits (no one is like God!), a leader too, and he/she should relize that, of course! It's very important find good co-worker and give them trust. And it's important too not giving them the fault of errors: a leader should realize that he/she is responsible for his/her co-workers, he/she should give them credit for their abilities and experience and bring always to mind that they aren't helpful "whipping boys" when the going's getting though.

In my opinion Barak Obama will be better than George W. Bush, but I'm waiting for what he really will be really able make. I think he's younger, educated and more opened mind than his precursor, but I don't think that american policy will radically change in next few years: it's probably going to get some drift towards new directions and I hope this will give new chances to the whole world.

Golden Reviewer (122 Golden Award)
antoxx92
Advanced TR Player
Advanced TR Player

Messaggio da antoxx92 »

I agree with you.
A leader should be young, with an opened mentality, and has to do what the society wants.
I think that Obama will be better than George Bush, first because his intentions are better and act to help people; second because he's younger, so he can realize what the problems of the society are better then an old man.
I don't know if things will change in America, but right now we can just trust in the man who has the better intentions. I guess if I was american and if I was 21 I voted for Obama...
Anyway, I want to you to watch a funny video from the last season of the Simpson (in English, obviusly ^^).

[youtube][/youtube]
eheheheheheh...

Also, I found another thing userfull to improve in english on youtube:
http://it.youtube.com/user/PrivateEnglishPortal
This is the channel of an english teacher.. He has some online english course, but he put on youtube some free video where he answers at frequently questions. He uses a simple english (not like "the cat is on the table", but understandable ;) ), and maybe it's a kind to learn new english expressions (he's particullary carefull about it). :)

That's all for now :) .

Greywolf
Master TR Player
Master TR Player

Messaggio da Greywolf »

antoxx92
Advanced TR Player
Advanced TR Player

Messaggio da antoxx92 »

My sister is just gone to England for 3 weeks.. I'm so jelause of her.... :angry:
She will have an english cours, and she'll stay in a family's house who host students from all the world.
I can't wait for this summer, I hope I'll have the same opportunity, because I do want to learn english...

Nillc
Master TR Player
Master TR Player

Messaggio da Nillc »

@ Antoxx: JEALOUS ;)

Oh my god how lucky your sister is! Can you tell me in which city has she gone? I went to England for a study trip in 2005 and I stayed in Salisbury (the city of Stonehenge) for about a month... I stayed in a family too (though it was composed only by a divorced woman and her daughters) and I think this gave me the opportunity to learn english even better than I had done in 10 years of school study.
Also, I had the opportunity to see the differences between English and Italian way of life: the thing I remember the best is that pubs and cinemas opened from 3 to 22 pm, so they usually don't use to remain open during the night. Of course, Salisbury was soooo quiet and silent that I really fell in love with it :)

BTW, it was there where I did my huge mistake to ask for a pair of scissors to cut my BIRD instead of my BEARD :D

Platinum Reviewer (301 Platinum Award) :: Best Reviewer Apr 2021 :: | Bronze Award 19 | | Golden Award 20 |
antoxx92
Advanced TR Player
Advanced TR Player

Messaggio da antoxx92 »

ahahahahahah :D
well... A friend worked in england as a babysitter, and sometimes she said to the baby:"Dai Meri... DAI!!!" if she did whims.. Well... You know what the poor baby understood XD.
Also... one day I wrote for mistake "I'm attending sex lessons" at the place of "I'm attending six lessons".
Anyway, now I don't rember the name of the city, I just remember it was in sud england...
This evening I'll call her and I'll ask it :)
She took a present for the family, and she asked me what to say when she has to give it to them... She decided to say:"A little present from Sardinia..".
I think it's too formal.. It sounds like a commercial :lol:

P.S: JEALOUS ok... got it :)

Nillc
Master TR Player
Master TR Player

Messaggio da Nillc »

Well, Salisbury IS in the South of England, so maybe she's there (its English School is famous all over the world ;))

Platinum Reviewer (301 Platinum Award) :: Best Reviewer Apr 2021 :: | Bronze Award 19 | | Golden Award 20 |
antoxx92
Advanced TR Player
Advanced TR Player

Messaggio da antoxx92 »

Nillc ha scritto:Well, Salisbury IS in the South of England, so maybe she's there (its English School is famous all over the world ;))
The first letter was A... I remember something about sea..
Ok... I do need a regressive hypnosis... :D

Nillc
Master TR Player
Master TR Player

Messaggio da Nillc »

Ora a stomp in the head (to speak in Shivaree's term :D)

antoxx92
Advanced TR Player
Advanced TR Player

Messaggio da antoxx92 »

Nillc ha scritto:Ora a stomp in the head (to speak in Shivaree's term :D)
oooh.. cute :D :asd:

antoxx92
Advanced TR Player
Advanced TR Player

Messaggio da antoxx92 »

I remember now.. She'll stay in Hastings... It is near the sea, quite far by Salisbury... :)

Nillc
Master TR Player
Master TR Player

Messaggio da Nillc »

Yeah Hastins is in Sussex while Salisbury is in Wiltshire...

BTW, can I suggest a new topic? Tell us something about your relationship with England! Have you ever been there, or do you whish to get there someday soon? Do you like/dislike it?

Rispondi