Episode 8 - The Sanctuary of Water, Fire and Ice

Based on a level by Piega

The beginning episodes and introduction to my Lara universe... / I primi episodi e un'introduzione all'universo di Lara di Jürgen...
Rispondi
Lara for ever
Senior TR Player
Senior TR Player

Episode 8 - The Sanctuary of Water, Fire and Ice

Messaggio da Lara for ever »

Immagine

Annotation: This story part base on the level “The Sanctuaries of Water, Fire and Ice” by Piega

Immagine

Lara’s Adventure Diary, Part 8

Hi again, my dear friends of Action and Adventures! I want to tell you another story today, and a very special one too. Of course it was one of my adventures in the past, but not only any of them. In fact is was really one of the most impressing and intensive I have ever experienced. And I’ll show you about.

Well, as I said this adventure was some time ago yet, in the beginning area of my adventures on Earth. You remember my last story? About the Pirates of the Caribbean? After that experience there were some expeditions to Egypt, to discover and explore some temples and pyramids there.
I spend much time in this beautiful country, but well, there was a point it really got boring then. I wanted to see something else again, and I wanted to seek for some new challenges. Indeed, this world is so huge, isn’t it? And I knew there were so much more secrets to discover, more artefacts and treasures to find.
This was when I had this little discussion with our butler, Winston. At a time my parents just were on holiday. At a time when I had come back home from another Egypt trip and not wanted to see this country again for some time…

So, you have read the story excerpt in the levelreport above? Then you can certainly imagine my interest about the information of Winston. I was on fire immediately and knew what my next adventure would be. And after my parents had bought a own chopper for our possible expeditions it was about time to test it. Winston would fly this machine, and so we made our preparations for this journey. And after having all needed information we started this trip into an unknown adventure, one I should never forget again in my further life. The search for the lost Sanctuaries of the monks had begun…

So, are you ready to join me again? I hope so. And by the way, do you actually believe in miracles? And also in supernatural activities? Of course you should meanwhile, after all my stories before. But if there are still doubts, if you still won’t believe by closing all your senses, then I will convince you now. For sure.

Level 1: The Snowy Mountains

After the landing of the chopper I found myself in a nice environment of some very high snowy mountains of the Himalayan. But well, don’t wonder about my clothes. We really thought about all equipment, except one thing. My winter clothes. But turning around therefore? No way! So I had to go through now, enduring the frostiness. No good beginning then, but it really didn’t matter. You know, I can endure higher and lower temperatures than normal human beings…

Immagine

Look who was greeting me at once! A nice looking, but dangerous polar bear! Sadly I had no choice here but killing it, because he wouldn’t disappear again. But I really hate killing such animals…

Immagine

In the snowy Himalayan mountains! Somewhere here my search should begin, after all I found out. I had to look for buildings of a huge temple, hidden in this mountains, and possibly slopped partially. At least I hoped so that not all of this strange mysterious culture had been gone…

Immagine

Look at the strange environments here! Soon it was whole obvious to me, those ways were not natural! They had been build a longer time ago, and so I was on the right path then.

Immagine

It was time for a little riding with my snowmobile then, which, good luck, was also part of my equipment. I would have never made it through those high and steep mountains without.

Immagine

The first signs of the temple area. But no chance of entering it from here, I had to find another way in.

Immagine

I had to do some jumping with my snowmobile…

Immagine

Immagine

Finally, the entrance to a new area. But it was too high, and the rocks to steep to reach it by climbing. Jumping with the help of the broken construction nearby was my only chance to get into this cave.

Immagine

After this partially acrobatic driving with my snowmobile I reached a new area and entered it. I had found what I was searching for, the first buildings of the lost temple…

Immagine
Lara for ever
Senior TR Player
Senior TR Player

Re: Episode 8 - The Sanctuary of Water, Fire and Ice

Level 2: The Holy Fountain

The next thing I reached was a graveyard. I had to solve a puzzle here with two of those graves, but yet I was no longer alone. Skeletons were rising from the ground and trying to kill me. I had no weapon to destroy them here, so it was about a matter of timing – and running. But I could succeed…

Immagine

Save again, above the graveyard. I could search for my further way now, and of course I found it again…

Immagine

Reaching a new wonderful designed area! Water flowing all around, surrounded by huge, great looking buildings. Wonderful!

Immagine

Still a better sight from this position! So I had arrived at my hoped destination, the Sanctuaries of those ancient monks! And of course I was so anxious what would be waiting here for me!

Immagine

Several possible ways to go in this area. So I had to decide for one first, knowing I would certainly come back here for several times.

Immagine

A really strange construction, combining building elements and natural rocks! And water all around, even coming from above…

Immagine

So, I began to explore the first rooms of this ancient, deserted city. And here it was puzzling time again…

Immagine

A further room to explore. After and after I could solve the mysteries of this ancient city to get further on my way.

Immagine

I really admire those ancient constructors. They have done such a great work. Only a pity about the result, for mankind forgot about all this. But I hoped to change all that with the success of my mission…

Immagine

Another little puzzle room. And after solving it the way was free to reach the next new area – the Sanctuaries of Fire…

Immagine
Lara for ever
Senior TR Player
Senior TR Player

Level 3: Sanctuary of Fire

I found myself in an underground cave. The ways I could see at the first sight were blocked from my position, so I had to examine this cave a little bit more particularly.

Immagine

I came to another huge cave with a golden double door, closed, of course. But now I knew where I had to go, the only problem was about finding a way to open those doors. But you wouldn’t doubt me to succeed here, would you?
Besides, as you can see there was even a welcome commando of strange red knights around. Somehow they simply didn’t like me, so I had no other choice than killing them. Well, at least after finding out how to do so…

Immagine

Another view of this cave, after battling….

Immagine

Finally I could open those golden doors, but what a bad surprise! As you can see, a bad trap was waiting for me straight after entering. But I there was no alternative, somehow running through here or giving up.
Well, would I ever give up? Of course, never…

Immagine

This whole thing got even worse! Look at that deep and deadly pit! I could see a door down there, but reaching it was not easy. Good luck I could use my head to succeed here, it was not only a matter of dangerous jumps…

Immagine

Save again, at least for the moment. And a new area to explore again. Those sanctuaries were really huge and impressing!

Immagine

So, as if the moving walls would not have been enough, here is the escalation. Double moving walls, one pair after another one, and a fire emitter between them. Great! This was the prize for one of a lot secret areas, and of course I wanted to take possession of them too. So I needed a perfect timing here…

Immagine

The secret room behind! To get to the opposite ending I had to do some dangerous jumps now. But then the secret was mine!

Immagine

Next I came to another interesting room with a strange machine in. I got it working, but I had no idea what this action would cause. Through the windows of this room I could see two further of those machines, so I had to find a way to reach them also, for solving this mystery. But the answer came much sooner then…

Immagine

I entered a really incredible room, the Sanctuary of fire! The real centre of it! And now I also understood the meaning of the machine before, at least what those three of them I saw would start up. One flash was already working with one of the mirrors, and two others had to be put in motion. So I knew what to do, finding access to the further machine rooms was my first priority then.

Immagine

The further way was not easy. I had to avoid the lava and columns of fire, shooting out of the lava again and again. But finally I could succeed in this large Sanctuary and find the further machines…

Immagine

Back to the main room I could see all three flashes working. What an incredible sight! Now I had to reach the construction in the middle of this hall, for the flashes gave me access to a new way out of this Sanctuary. And I was very curious about where this new way would lead me…

Immagine

Another big room. Not as dangerous as the centre of the Sanctuary, but therefore I had to face a further challenge, as I found out very soon. The jumpswitch at the big window caused a timed task, opening the next door only a short time. So I had to hurry in order of leaving this room…

Immagine

Well, you can see for yourself what my next task was. Somehow reaching the other side here, and not to scorch at most.

Immagine

The next room was a bad surprise! Thinking already of being through the Sanctuary of fire, I had to discover this was whole wrong. A horse of stone was waiting here, and somehow I had a very bad feeling about this.

Immagine

Well, my feeling was right! A horse normally also contains a horseman – and really, a dangerous knight appeared very soon. So it was battle time, but the armour of this knight was very strong. It was a hard fight for my life, but finally I succeeded.

Immagine

So, some time of peace and rest again, after this hard battle! Actually time to leave this Sanctuary at last, but well, I didn’t. You know, I am an adventurer, I am Lara Croft! And there was still one secret left in this area, my notes told me so. I wanted to find all of them, and so I made another excursion. Necessary only for myself…

A nice room, and a skeleton on the ground. But well, you know, skeletons sadly don’t always remain on the ground…

Immagine

Breathtaking, isn’t it? And dangerous, of course. This was a matter of correct jumping again to reach the opposite exit.

Immagine

I came to a mirror room with swinging chains all through the way. This was not easy because of the mirrors. And it was a matter of timing again, one time hurrying, and one time being careful. In the end I could get the gem I came for and leave the mirror room again without hurting…

Immagine

Finally, the destination room of this secret! I found myself standing in front of a deep abyss, and this time no way seemed to get me to the opposite side. And though, finally it was not a matter of jumping or running this time, but only of thinking. I could find the solution and get further…

Immagine

So, anybody still doubting about miracles? Then only look at this single picture. See for yourself, the "holy" Lara walking beyond the air. No bridge, no material at all, only air! I really learned to use the powers of those Sanctuaries!

Immagine

And my reward, finally! Those coffins were full of goodies. Time to say good bye to this Sanctuary, the Sanctuary of fire. But two others were still waiting for me. So I was very curious about where to get next.

Immagine

And what about you, me dear adventure friends? I hope you enjoy reading my report and watching all the pictures from my flying camera. I can tell you, this wasn’t all yet, not at all. The best is still waiting, so follow me further on my way. You won’t regret. And if you are impressed so far, well, wait and see…
Lara for ever
Senior TR Player
Senior TR Player

Level 2 Revisited: The Holy Fountain

After being back in the main area of the Holy Fountain I entered a new area this time. It should bring me to the Sanctuary of Ice then. And while thinking about what to expect there I knew there was still a long way to go ahead of me. But I had enough equipment to keep a stiff upper lip. And, of course, my connection to Winston this time, who was waiting in the chopper, ready to intervene if necessary. But until now I needed no help, and I was whole sure it would stay this way.

Immagine

Strange flying creatures “welcomed” me in the new area, after climbing some rocks. It was battle time again…

Immagine

After the fight I took a look around in the area. I needed to get those further golden doors open and succeeded, of course! The Sanctuary of ice was waiting for me...

Immagine
Lara for ever
Senior TR Player
Senior TR Player

Level 4: Sanctuary of Ice

Reaching a new temple I was really shocked at first. Not only the temperature was appreciable foundered, also a big, a very big creature was waiting for me yet. A blue bull, lying on the ground and sleeping.
Well, you can believe me, this was a moment I really had me heart in my mouth! And so I tried to leave this beast sleeping, passing it slinking. And I succeeded – at first, so I could explore the further rooms.
Soon I found out I could not get anyway further here, for the doors were closed. But there was a very big button at a block, obviously to open the doors. I could not press it, but perhaps the bull could?
So, this seemed to be a test. Only very courageous and clever challengers could survive and get further here, and so I had to try. I had to awaken this bull, luring it to the button in order to ram it…

Immagine

As you can see, I succeeded again, for I was still alive. But well, who else should tell you about my incredible adventures than me?
In this new room there were further of those big buttons, so I had no choice. The blue monster would stay at my side for a while…

Immagine

After succeeding in the button rooms I had to face a new danger. My actions awakened an old knight, not superable by any weapons. As the blue bull too! I was dealing with very powerful forces in those Sanctuaries, but somehow my own strengths were also growing. Perhaps this one last good monk from the legend was leaving me something behind, really helping me now.
About this old knight, I had to use him in order of destroying a special structure with his sword – of course without hurting me. After that I could escape…

Immagine

I reached a huge chapel, where I needed the blue bull again – further big buttons waiting to open the first golden doors at the end of the hall. And I still could make it through here without the help of any medipack…

Immagine

A room with swinging blades! I had to be very careful here…

Immagine

Well, you can see for yourself where I came next. A room with spikes going up and down at much places! Traps and danger all around in those beautiful, but deadly Sanctuaries…

Immagine

After reaching an outside area I was suddenly attacked and chased by an ice wraith! And nothing around to get rid of it! Good luck there was another option, so I could survive again…

Immagine

Not necessary for my journey, but I’ll show you again! Looking at some further spikes going up and down, this was one of the secret places again. I had to pass them with timed jumping to get this secret…

Immagine

Finally I reached an icy region. The water was very cold, but I had to dive here. And I had to deal with traps, for there were some bad currents in the water. Normal human beings certainly would die in this cold water, but not me…

Immagine

Not a hard puzzle this time…

Immagine

I found the passage where to continue. You can see the energy sparkling after opening the new corridor…

Immagine

I reached a new mirror room, but even more dangerous as the first one! This time there was another superable old knight, and I had to use it to destroy a barrier in front of a needed gem. But with those mirrors walking was difficult in this room. This was a hard challenge to me, but I made it in the end!

Immagine

Here you can see two ghosts fighting each other. Because fire and ice wraiths also were enemies, as I could find out. The perfect solution for me to get rid of them all. Finally I could leave the Sanctuary of Ice again...

Immagine
Lara for ever
Senior TR Player
Senior TR Player

Level 2 Revisited: The Holy Fountain

Back in the fountain area again! After succeeding the two Sanctuaries of Ice and Fire I had my two needed gems now to place them at the receptacles in this place. So my great journey could continue…

Immagine

After placing the two gems there was a change in the area. The water in the pool turned to ice, it froze. So I could reach the middle construction now. But soon I noticed about a new task – getting under the ice to continue my way. For a new area was reachable now from below…

Immagine

Well, this whole place didn’t spare me with any bad surprises! A new passage, a further secret to reach, but also two new enemies arriving! And I could do nothing against those hammerhead sharks than trying to escape them…

Immagine

Finally I made my way into the sewerage. Safe again, for the moment. And somehow, only at some few moments, I envied Winston in his safe and warm chopper…

Immagine

Level 1 Revisited: The Snowy Mountains

Through the sewerage I could leave this area for a while, returning into the snowy mountains. But well, I didn’t reach an outside area, no snow and ice at all. Instead I found myself in a strange underground world, an ancient sunken town. So, it was time for a little diving then…

Immagine

I can tell you, that was not an easy part! I had to hold my breath a long time, returning to the only point of one room with an air pocket several times. I had to beware of further sharks and open some underwater doors, before I could leave the area again.

Immagine

Now, look where I came to! A nice sight, no doubt! But not so nice with trying to climb up this strange natural construction…

Immagine

Getting higher…

Immagine

Finally, reaching the top! But my way out of here was still blocked, I had to do this climbing not only for one time…

Immagine

Very strange, isn’t it? Sometimes things seemed even to be a little bit surreal. But in the end it was only a further button…

Immagine

And the way out finally. Believe it or not, my actions here caused something very incredible. The strange looking button partially changed the gravity in this area, with the water flowing upwards now! I can not explain how this may be possible, the science totally failed here! And one thing was for sure to me – those ancient monks once were standing far beyond the limits of science and the Earth! They could make things possible nobody ever would believe if not seeing the proofs. But I did, and I know now! As I always say, there’s much more between Heaven and Earth than we can imagine. And I look forward to explore much more secrets of our universe.
But first, back to the Sanctuaries. Follow me now to the last one, the Sanctuary of Water. And one of the most beautiful areas my eyes ever were allowed to see…

Immagine

Okay, try to keep a little patience until arriving at the last destination! First looking back down now, where I came from. It really was a long way up here then, but I made it again…

Immagine

I was standing in a little chapel with closed doors. So I had to solve a little puzzle here to leave the chapel.

Immagine

Back in the snow again! And a further polar bear walking around below. But this time I didn’t kill it, running away was a better option here…

Immagine

First a look back to the chapel I just came from. Great, isn’t it? I can only tell about my admiration for those ancient constructors again and again!

Immagine

And finally, reaching the portal of the Sanctuary of Water! There was a deep abyss between it and me, I could not even cross with my snowmobile, that much was clear! So, first I had to return all the way to the position where I left it, searching for something helping me with this abyss! And I remembered the words of Winston then, about the crates he left for me at the starting point of my adventure. So I went back there – and in fact, I found some items to upgrade my snowmobile for higher speed!
The Sanctuary of Water was reachable for me now…

Immagine

Well, almost then! First I had to do a very difficult jump with my snowmobile, in order to cross another deadly pit…

Immagine

After I could make the long jump with my snowmobile I finally arrived at the Sanctuary of Water! The key to open the doors was in my pocket, but well, you know, always searching the areas around wouldn’t be wrong.
Besides, a wonderful view, don’t you think? My camera flew high above the area to took this picture, so you can imagine the dimensions!

Immagine

After some climbing I got another view of this Sanctuary portal. And I could reach the balcony from here…

Immagine

Another secret rose…

Immagine

Now it was time to open the portal to this final Sanctuary! So I went down to the ground again and used the key. But I was not prepared for what I found in there, believe me! Thinking about I am still impressed so much. And I guarantee, you will be too if you follow me inside now…
Lara for ever
Senior TR Player
Senior TR Player

Level 5: Sanctuary of Water

Entering the Sanctuary of Water, it was a very strange feeling. More than before, as I entered both of the other Sanctuaries. I can hardly describe it, but somehow I knew this one was not only the last one of the three Sanctuaries, but also the main one.
I could feel the mighty powers of this once holy place in all my body, and I was surrounded by a really weird atmosphere.
It was quiet. It was really whole quiet here, no sound at all! Except the flowing water, of course, but except this it seemed the nature would hold its breath. Similar as the moment of silence before hell breaking loose. But this place was not hell, it was Heaven. At least in this significant moment!
Well, enjoying what I saw I let my camera fly around first, to get some astonishing and wonderful impressions of this place…

Immagine

Immagine

Immagine

Immagine

Okay, though of all impression there was still a job to fulfil, the further exploration of the Sanctuaries! So I went my steps slow and carefully deeper into this large hall, looking around very close.

Immagine

Now look at this! The name, Sanctuary of Water, was well chosen, water all around, wherever I went. Even flowing down the stairs – only magnificent! Somehow this place seemed like to be under a spell, but well, reality would reach me very soon again, I knew…

Immagine

Immagine

My feeling like being in Heaven ended quickly. A new enemy was approaching, and it also was indestructible! No weapon could get thorough this golden metal armour, and the mighty hammer of this beast was terrible dangerous. My only chance was to always evade at the right time, but there was also another option. In the end I could lock up the monster with being fast enough!

Immagine

Coming to this area I saw what to do now, and I also understood the note I found before within the water stairs. The weights in two rooms had to get balanced again, but also monsters in cages were waiting yet for me. So, hell was close at hand again, and I could see once more how the evil had corrupted this wonderful place…

Immagine

I needed two water tubes in order to succeed with the weights. I could find one of them very easy, but the other one was protected by a timed task. I had to be quick to reach this tube. But finally…

Immagine

The puzzles with the weights gave me access to two tridents, being needed later. I could solve the puzzle, and my further search brought me to the second floor of this water Sanctuary then.

Immagine

And outside again. What a marvellous view!

Immagine

One of the tridents, I found them all after a while. And though of monsters and golden hammer beasts, my mission could still continue…

Immagine

Still avoiding the bad hammer beast I could get access to a new area with placing the first trident then. I had to dive again, for finding an underwater lever, opening a further closed door in the main hall of the Sanctuary, a door into a new area again…

Immagine
Lara for ever
Senior TR Player
Senior TR Player

Level 6: The Bridge

I could reach the other side of the second floor now. And I really had to stop here, taking a long view around. But see for yourself…

Immagine

After dealing with another hammer beast – the first one seemed to have a brother then – and solving a further weight puzzle I found this huge bride, which I couldn’t cross. The door at the opposite side was locked. So I had to find another way.

Immagine

This was the way I searched for. And I could open the big door with my further tridents. But where would I get here?

Immagine

I got beneath the big bridge…

Immagine

Finally, back again, I could cross the bridge this time. The door was open now, leading me into a new unknown area…

Immagine

Look what I finally found! The golden feather, it was no legend, it was real! Almost unbelievable, but true, this worthy treasure was mine! And if I ever told you something about envying my butler, well, forget about that very quickly. He could never know what he was missing here…

Immagine

So, should this incredible adventure really be over now? Of course not, I still had to escape this place again. The feather had released a new way to me, and of course I took it. With no idea where it would lead me then…
Lara for ever
Senior TR Player
Senior TR Player

Level 7: The Monk’s Grave

I arrived at a graveyard. And well, as I almost expected, another hammer beast was already waiting for me. The task was obvious to me, four buttons at the middle construction. I had to press them all for opening the exit door – without dying, of course…

Immagine

This was a hard challenge, but with good timing and jumping I could also succeed here and proceed into the next room. A little puzzle was waiting here, and of course it brought me back into the hammer beasts room. But somehow I could solve all left problems, without any need of a medipacks. Thinking back to this adventure today I can almost not believe it myself…

Immagine

And so, the end of the adventure. The chopper with my butler straight ahead I could have started the voyage home, but well, I didn’t. Standing at this position I only thought about not having done all things, my feelings told me I would have missed something. I had no idea if it was true, but somehow I trusted those feelings. And instead of entering the chopper then I returned to the Sanctuaries again.

Immagine
Lara for ever
Senior TR Player
Senior TR Player

Level 8: Bonuslevel

You can think I was driving mad then, but I wasn’t. My feelings were right, for I discovered a secret passage which I did not see the first time. And three silver roses, collected on my way through the Sanctuaries, opened a new way.
So, the adventure continued…

Immagine

In a further huge hall it was showdown time then. I had to open several doors around, with knights attacking at once.

Immagine

In the next big room, with some movable objects, I had to find the right positions for them, in order to open further doors.

Immagine

No more knights, but even worse! Fire wraiths attacked me now, and one time even two at once. I had to run for my life, for only water could save me. But I was very sure, there really was a last secret to discover, protected by many enemies.

Immagine

The final challenge then, and guess who was waiting again! Yes, the first hammer beast really had a lot of brothers, and this one protected four needed silver feathers to continue. I had also to solve some further puzzles and getting the feathers one by one. Always avoiding this monster!

Immagine

After this challenge I found what I was searching for! The last monk, who send the message with the scroll, who survived the threat of evil – the legend did not tell the whole story. I could read it now at the coffin, where he buried himself alive to finally defeat evil and rest in peace. This was his grave, and with the last left powers of good he could create this blue energy shield. Protecting his grave and banish all evil from at least this room. And this was my choice and decision now, to relegate this evil force in the Sanctuaries forever and fulfil the last monks mission!

Immagine

Well, what would you have done? Leaving the world in danger, only because of fading glory? I couldn’t! The golden feather was reward enough to me, but the Sanctuaries had to stay a secret forever! So nobody ever would find this place again.
With the sword of the last monk I could fulfil the last will of the monk. As he wrote it down, I only had to strike it into the energy field, which he created with his dead such a long time ago. And I did it.
The earth began to shake immediately. I knew I had not much time left and run away at once. Finally I could reach the exit in time and escape at last…

Immagine

Only a few seconds later the Sanctuaries disappeared forever. The whole constructions disintegrated – moving into another dimension, where no further human being ever could reach it again.
The evil force was defeated and trapped in this other dimension. Our world was saved, but nobody even knew at this time. Until now, for I told you the story. The true story of the Sanctuaries of Water, Fire and Ice…

Much time has passed since this unique and great adventure. But I can tell you I never forgot about it and all my experiences. They only made me even stronger and more determined than ever before. I knew my adventure time on Earth had just begun. And I wanted to live them all!
So, interested in more of my experiences? Then meet me for my next expedition, when I open my adventure diary again…

The End of Episode 8
Rispondi